Advertising ketchup assures us that this sauce is prepared exclusively from ripe tomatoes picturesquely beautiful.And what if the cook ketchup from green tomatoes?Will it be just as tasty?
In fact, green tomato ketchup has been around for decades.Unlike the traditional tomato sauce "green" is preparing a very unusual way.In the same turns and original taste of the product - a fragrant, spicy green tomato ketchup will make ordinary dishes gourmet product.
What is needed for cooking ketchup?
main ingredients for the sauce:
- green tomatoes - about 0.5 kg;
- sweet pepper (better to take green) - 500 grams;
- burning cayenne pepper - 2-3 pieces;
- vinegar - 2-3 tablespoons (can take apple cider or wine vinegar in a similar dosage);
- sugar - 150 grams;
- salt - 1 tablespoon;
- water - 1 cup;
- spices - a little black pepper, a couple of stars of cloves, ginger powder on the tip of a knife.
Step by step recipe
- Wash the green tomatoes, cored, cut into several large pieces and put them in a saucepan.
- Pour diced tomatoes with brine (need a tablespoon of salt in a glass of warm water) and leave for a while.This is to ensure that after cooking green tomatoes did not taste bitter.
- After several hours of tomato with salt water to drain, add finely chopped or minced bell and chili peppers.Put on the fire.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil a lot.After 20 minutes a half finished ketchup add sugar and spices.
- ketchup simmer under the lid closed on low heat for at least 30 minutes.Before you turn off the stove, you need to pour into a saucepan the vinegar and mix thoroughly.
- still hot ketchup expanded into sterile jars.It may come in handy glass bottles are packed in a normal tomato ketchup.
- Close the jar, wait for complete cooling and only then remove the sauce in the refrigerator for storage.
If tomatoes bad seethe, and ketchup is too thick, you can "refine" it with a blender.According gourmet ketchup from tomatoes green is best combined with Indian cuisine, and even resembles the chutney - traditional Indian seasoning.Such exotica have now in your refrigerator!